The school governing body would like to welcome you to our school website. As school governors we are responsible for the conduct of the school and for promoting high educational standards. The governing body aims to ensure that students are attending a successful school providing them with a high standard of education and helping to ensure their safety and wellbeing. Being a governor is an extremely rewarding and enjoyable experience.
The Governors of Bensham Manor School work closely with the Senior Leadership Team and staff to uphold the School Ethos and Values and ensure that every pupil and student has the best individual learning opportunity and is able to maximise their development and progress to lead the fullest possible adult life.
The role of the Governors is a strategic one in the development of the school, with day to day management and operational issues delegated to the Senior Leadership Team.
The three core responsibilities of the Governing Body are:
- to hold the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils,
- ensure clarity of the school’s vision, ethos, values and strategic direction, and
- to oversee the financial performance of the school ensuring its money is well spent.
Additionally, the Governing Body maintains a high focus on Safeguarding and Child Protection in line with DfE guidance “Keeping Children Safe in Education”, with Safeguarding being a standing agenda item at every Full Governing Body meeting.
Our Governing Body Constitution consists of 12 Governors:
• 1 Headteacher
• 1 Staff Governor, elected by staff
• 1 Local Authority Governor, appointed by the Governing Body
• 2 Parent Governors, elected by parents
• 8 Co-opted Governors, appointed by the Governing Body
We operate three Committees:
1. Achievement Committee
2. Behaviour, Safety and Personnel Committee
3. Finance and Premises Committee
All Governors attend Full Governing Body meetings and every Governor is a member of at least one Committee. Every meeting is minuted by our Clerk and these minutes, minus any confidential discussions, are available to parents and stakeholders by request.